Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Camp Stitchaway


On Thursday, March 12, I headed to Spruce Pines, NC for my first cross stitching retreat. It was chilly and drizzling rain, but not such a bad drive. I saw a couple of places that I wanted to stop, but was anxious to get there, so forged ahead. (I'll share my 'finds' in anothr post later.)

When I arrived, Carol Peggy was setting up tables and such, so I pitched in for a bit. Later others started arriving, and we got our rooms and mates. Since Springmaid bunkhouse is mostly for kids at equine camp, the rooms had bunk beds, so we took off the top mattress of two rooms and made one for me on the floor. It really wasn't half bad - actually better than the one on the bed frame, I think! Jeanne was my roomie, and we got along very well.

Kiki and Jeanne are the ladies I met online who invited me to The Stitch and Frame for stitch nights, and also encouraged me to attend this retreat. Thanks, ladies! I had a blast and learned SO much. There were about 25 stitchers there, and here are some of them. I thought I had photos of everyone, but some just didn't turn out well.

Bobbie and I were 'the smokers' so we spent a little more time together outside - she in her 'smoking jacket' and I with my spray bottle - Fabreeze!! Water's Edge is Bobbie's design company.

Thursday night we had soup and salad for dinner, and just stitched (some had knitting class) and got acquainted with the other stitchers. Beginning Friday, we had a catering couple join us, and they prepared three square meals! It was great food.


Friday morning was 'whatever' time, so some went shopping, others went to pan for gems. I went down the mountain to find a stitching light. I got a desk model of the floor lamp I use at home that I love. Just a note * don't rely on your GPS to navigate you through the mountain tops! It asked me to turn in places where there were no roads, and I wound up in Switzerland - Little Switzerland, that is! *


We played Bingo - but of course I didn't win; however, I did win a door prize.



We started our project on Friday afternoon. The guest instructor was Meg Thompson Shinall, daughter of Ginny Thompson - THE Ginny Thompson Flower Thread - and designer/owner of Morningstar Embroidery Group. Our project was Camp Stitchaway Stitching Tray. This is Meg's sample tray. The approximate size is 8x10. Hers has a notebook, pen tray, ORT box, pin cushion, biscornu, and to be scissor tray.





This was my first experience with stitching on linen. It really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but it is a slower process for me since I don't have the 'feel' yet and have to count over every time. While some of the group went out on Saturday to take in the locale, I stayed in since it was cold, rainy, and generally yucky outside, so I had fun stitching.



My first Klosters - spelled incorrectly on the photo - dove's eye, and nun's stitch.

These together make a peek-a-boo. I don't believe anyone finished the project, but the challenge from Meg was to make a big, full-sized tray for next year. We'll see... This is my try for this project, and it is about 6x6.



After breakfast on Sunday morning, we all packed and headed home. There wasn't so much rain, but it was foggy.



It is a lovely place, and I hope to go again next year. You should think about coming, too. It's great to put real faces and personalities with our on-line friends!

PS:
Thank you, friends, who have asked about Pixie. She had a good time with DS and his Great Dane, Kilo (who is spending this weekend with us). She is doing a lot better with less limping and more use of her leg - though still on medication.

~Happy Stitching~
Charlene in SC.USA

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a blast! They normally do a retreat in November, too, but I can't think of the name of it. So glad you had a great time and that Pixie is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time, Charlene. Your hardanger piece looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for sharing your advice, comments, and remarks with me! I love hearing what you have to say! Please come back again soon...